Diplomatic and Government Officials
Diplomatic and Government Officials

Diplomatic and Government Officials

On this page:


A-1, A-2, G-1 through G-4, and NATO-1 through NATO-6 visas may be issued to diplomats and other government officials for official travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements which must be met by applicants in order to qualify for A, G, or NATO visas under U.S. immigration law.

Foreign officials traveling to the United States on behalf of their national government to engage solely in official activities for that government must obtain an "A" visa prior to their entry. They cannot travel on a tourist visa.

How to Apply – Required Documentation

Embassies and consulates generally do not require an interview for those applying for A-1, A-2 and G-1 through G-4, and NATO-1 through NATO-6 visas; however, a consular officer can request an interview.

Applications for A-1, A-2, G-1 through G-4, and NATO 1 through NATO-6 visas may be dropped off at the diplomatic/official visa window of the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Wednesday through Friday, from 2:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. See Holidays and Closures

Each applicant and any accompanying persons, must submit the forms and documentation as explained below:

  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.
  • A diplomatic note or supporting letter from the Ministry or international organization explaining the purpose of the trip.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the United States.  
  • One photograph - You will upload either a scanned or digital photograph to yourForm DS-160 that meets the format requirements explained in the Digital Photo Requirements. If the photo upload function fails, continue trying to upload until the application allows you to proceed without a photo. Then, submit one photograph that meets following requirements:
    • Recent (taken within the last six months)
    • In color
    • White or off-white background that is not patterned or busy
    • Face must measure about 3cm from the top of the head to the chin
    • Applicant's face must face camera directly and not be looking down or to either side
    • Both ears must be exposed
    • No glasses
    • No head coverings or hats, except for religious reasons, but even then, head coverings or hats cannot obscure any part of the applicant’s face.

                     Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos.

  • Copy of both the visa and paper Form I-94 (both front and back) for the principal visa holder required for an immediate   family member applying separately from the principal visa applicant. If the principal visa applicant entered the U.S. after the automation of Form I-94, and his/her Arrival/Departure Record was created electronically, a photocopy of his/her admission stamp can be provided to the family member applying separately. Alternatively, the principal applicant may obtain a paper Form I-94 at cbp.gov/I94 and provide it to the family member applying separately.

Do not pay an MRV visa application fee as it will not be refunded.

Immediate Family Members

If accompanying  an A, G, NATO visa holder, the immediate family members should apply for the same classification of   visa.
Immediate family members are defined as the spouse and unmarried sons and daughters of any age who are members of the household, even if studying in a different location. The Embassy will adjudicate visa applications that are based on a same-sex marriage in the same way that we adjudicate applications for opposite gender spouses. Learn more on travel.state website.
Application procedures are the same as for the principal applicant.

More Information

For more information, please visit this web page or consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues.

You can visit the Department of State website for additional information about qualifying for Diplomatic and Official visas and for more specific information about A visas, G visas and NATO visas.