Application Refused under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 221(g)

On this page:


The U.S. Embassy or Consulate may give you a 221(g) letter directing you to submit additional documents or information related to your visa application. Your application will be kept on hold at the Embassy or Consulate until you submit those documents.

Submit documents and information requested in a 221(g) letter via CEAC (Immigrant Visa applicants only), mail or email (Tokyo and Osaka only) within one year from the date you received the 221(g) letter. Failure to submit the required information within one year will result in the refusal of your visa application. You will be required to submit a new visa application and pay all associated fees in order to continue with your visa application process.

How to Submit 221(g) Documents

Through CEAC (Immigrant Visa applicants only)

If you are an Immigrant Visa applicant and have submitted documents through CEAC to NVC, submit the additional documents through CEAC.

NOTE: Please make sure you click on the Submit Document button to complete the process.

For details, please visit the Modernized Immigrant Visa (MIV) document submission page (link to new embassy webpage)


For original document submission, go to "Original Documents via Mail".

*NOTE: Please read your 221(g) letter carefully to learn which submission method applies to your case. 


Immigrant Visa Applicants

For applicants who filed petitions with U.S. Embassy Tokyo or Consulate General Naha, or for those whose petitions are paper-based:

U.S. Embassy Tokyo:

U.S. Consulate General Naha:

Attachments must be in PDF format and not exceed 2MB. 

Please send an email with the following information.

  1. Subject: Please write applicant’s name in English and case number in the email subject line. For example, Yamada, Taro; Case number 123/456-7 or TKY2020345678.
  2. Name in English (given name, middle name, surname) Note: Write your full name exactly as it appears in your passport
  3. Passport number
  4. Date of birth (day/month/year)
  5. Case number
  6. Location of Embassy/Consulate where you applied.
  7. A scanned copy of a 221(g) letter if possible. Otherwise, please list the requested documents or information that was described in your 221(g) letter.

This email address is for submitting additional documents only.  We will not respond to visa or case status inquiries sent to this address.


Original Documents via Mail

If you received instructions to send original documents by mail:

Step 1

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will give you a pre-addressed LetterPack 370 envelope (addressed to the Embassy or Consulate) to submit your documentation after the interview

Step 2

Mail the required documents in the Letterpack 370.

Step 3

Japan Post will deliver your documents to the Embassy or Consulate.

Step 4

Japan Post will return your passport to the address you designate. If your visa is issued, the visa will be included inside your passport.

Track 221(g) Documents

To track your document to the Embassy or Consulate, you must peel off the tracking sticker (Sender to Retain) on a pre-addressed envelope before mailing in your documents and keep it for your record.

You may track the location of 221(g) Documents with the Track & Trace Service.